Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Letter to Danny - December 28, 2011

Hello Honey:

I was just talking to your old friend Gary Clayton.  He has been so kind to call and email me his memories of you.

As he was talking tonight, he told me about a trip you took with him, Dennis Sorensen and Kenny Johnson.  He said all of you decided to go deer hunting above Bridal Veil Falls up Provo Canyon.  The hike up included climbing across the face of Bridal Veil.  He said that if you looked down from where you four were climbing, the cars looked as big as pin heads.  He said you had made it across the face of the falls which consisted of climbing over frozen shale; one bad step and you probably would have fallen to your deaths. 

Gary said his memory of you that day has stayed with him for over forty-five years.  You made it across, but as Dennis Sorensen started across, he froze; unable to move forward or to move back.  But Gary remembered what you did.  You kept calling out words of encouragement to Dennis along with your advise on how he should place his feet and how he should proceed across the frozen shale.  You kept telling him you knew he could make it. He did and your hunt was a memorable one.   You probably didn't know at the time that your words of encouragment and advise would stay embedded in Gary's memory for the next four decades. 

As I listened to Gary's story, I pictured you being wherever it is you are now.  You have crossed over the frozen shale of death and I know you are calling out to me words of encouragement as I stand frozen in place by my grief of losing you.  In my times of a quiet mind, I will listen to your promptings of encouragement and I will listen for your words of love.

I love you Darling.

Longer than the 12th of Never.

No comments:

Post a Comment