Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Christmas Search

"Johnny show me Christmas."
He heard his little brother say.
"Tonight is Christmas Eve
and it's just a night away."

"Christmas is just another day.
Besides, you're very ill.
Just keep warm and get your strength
and then next year I will."

"No.  Johnny, Christmas just can't wait.
Let's go find it now.
If you'll just help me a little bit,
I'll have the strength somehow."

Johnny looked at the boxcar
he and his brother both called home.
It was all two orphaned boys could have
and not even theirs to own.

His brother was seeking Christmas.
Where on earth could it possibly be?
But this might be his one last wish
so he'd take him out to see.

"Come get on my back."  Johnny said.
"If that's what you want to do.
I'll carry you out to find Christmas
if it's that important to you."

The mansion sat high on Manor Hill.
You could hear the music play.
The guests arrived in fine attire
pulled in a horse-drawn sleigh.

The smell of roast goose and dressing
sailed on the Christmas air.
If Christmas was to be found,
surely they'd find it there.

His brother didn't feel heavy
as he broke path in the new fallen snow.
He could see the tree in the window.
They hadn't much farther to go.

Johnny lifted his brother down gently.
He spread his coat out on the ground.
"Sit here and peek through the window.
Be quiet and don't make a sound."

Mistletoe hung from each doorway.
Garland was laced down each stair.
The treetop reached clear to the ceiling.
The very grandest were there.

"Oh Johnny, I'm glad we found Christmas.
It's everything I thought it would be.
I've often wondered what Christmas was like.
Thank you for showing me."

"What are you two doing here?"
A voice behind them said.
"I don't recall inviting you.
Why aren't you home in bed?"

"Oh please don't be mad at Johnny.
It's all my fault you see.
I asked him to help me find Christmas.
We came here because of me."

"What's wrong with you my child?
You don't look well at all.
Johnny help me up with your brother.
Let's carry him into the hall."

As they lifted him up, his fevered brow
brushed by the gentleman's head
as he carried him up the staircase.
Laid him down in a down-filled bed.

"Johnny go fetch the doctor.
Right beside his side I'll stay.
Tell him to hurry as fast as he can.
Don't worry about the pay.

Your brother's going to get better.
You're so good to him and kind.
If it's Christmas that he's looking for,
then it's Christmas he will find."

The years they came.  The years the passed.
The two boys in the mansion stayed
blessed by the spirit of Christmas
they found on that special day.

Yes Johnny and his brother found Christmas
and never from them did it part.
So if you happen to be searching for Christmas,
don't forget to look in the heart.

Copyright 1995
Susie Whiting

1 comment:

  1. I finally figured out why my last posts didn't show up. I though I was so internet savvy. LOL

    Once again, I am beyond words. I see this was done in 1995. I had no idea you had this great talent for all these years. This poem is absolutely beautiful. You know so well how to reach into someone heart and plant the seeds of love, kindness and giving. I'm so proud to be your friend. :)

    ReplyDelete