Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Letter to Danny - November 21, 2012

Hello Honey:

Last year, the night before Thanksgiving, I went to make my stuffing for the next day and broke down telling Daren "I can't do this."  He slid the turkey back in the fridge and told me "Just wait 'til tomorrow Mom."  Well Honey, you would be proud of me.  I just finished making my stuffing, it is in the fridge waiting to be baked tomorrow.  The turkey is prepped, so I just need to slide it in the over in the morning. 

It has been a hard day without you.  Then, Shannon called asking me how to make my stuffing so she can have it in Alaska tomorrow.  Daren called me asking how to make my lemon jello and Vinnie called asking me how to bake a pie.  And once again, Honey, my kids were the ones who lifted me up and dusted me off and helped me make it through the day.  Just knowing our Alaska families will be sharing Thanksgiving together, Sheree and her family will be sharing it with Jon's sister, and Susan, Mark and Rainee will be here tomorrow, somehow makes it better.  There will be lots of talk and laughter and things will be okay. 

This Thanksgiving I am so thankful for love.  There is no greater gift than it.  I have been so blessed to have been loved by good parents, siblings, friends and then you, our children and grandchildren.  As the song from "The Sound of Music" goes "Somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good."  God has been so tremendously good to me.

The house is smelling of cranberry muffins.  If you were here, you would be telling me how to fix the turkey and I would remind you I have fixed more than forty-seven turkey dinners.  Then you would say "You always were the champion turkey cooker."  Did I ever tell you thank you for all the little endearing things you use to say to me.  I love you Honey.  I'm sorry for ever taking anything you said or did for granted.  I wish I could reach out and grab hold of all of them and hold them close once more. 

I don't know what your schedule is like where you are at, but if you get a chance come around tomorrow.  Go to Ashley's and see our Alaska kids, then go to Sheree's and look in on her and then come on to Mark's and we will be here hoping to feel you with us. 

Wherever you are, know that I love you and will

Far Beyond the 12th of Never.

Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment