Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Letter to Danny - November 20, 2012

Hi Honey:

It's almost Thanksgiving; your favorite holiday.  How you loved the smell of turkey roasting and you said no one made dressing like I did.  You would always give me a hard time about buying so much food, but then you would be so proud when it all came together on Thanksgiving Day.

If you were here, I would be finding out where to buy the best mincemeat pie for you. If you were here, tomorrow night you would have a piece with your coffee and then Thanksgiving morning you would have another piece with your coffee.  It was a good thing you started eating it early because no one else liked mincemeat pie but you.  After Thanksgiving dinner, you would say "It's a shame I can't eat more."

You would grin as the kids wrote on the "Thankful Door".  When they had all left, you would have me read to you what they said they were thankful for.  You were always thankful Honey.  You were thankful for the warmth of your home, the food you ate, your bed at night, getting in out of a storm, or a cool breeze in the summer.  You appreciated an ironed shirt, a good cup of coffee, and me. You had such a good spirit.  I hope our children and grandchildren will learn how to be thankful for the little things in life as you were. Now as I think about you my love, it's the little things about you that I love and miss the most.  The little things are what really matter in this life.

I'll go about the motions of preparing Thanksgiving dinner.  The turkey will be roasted the same way as will the dressing.  The potatoes and gravy will be just the way you liked them and of course there will be yams. 

Maybe I will buy a mincemeat pie after all.  Then when everyone has gone to bed, I will make two cups of coffee, one for me and one for you.  And I will sit in the quiet of Thanksgiving night and drink my coffee and think of you.  I will be Thankful that you fell in love with me.  I will be Thankful for our 47 years together.  I will be Thankful for our children and grandchildren.  I will be Thankful for the memories we built.  I will be Thankful I am Danny Whiting's wife.  Then when I start getting sad from missing you, I will go to bed but not before I tell you I love you and always will

Far Beyond the 12th of Never.

Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment